Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Energy Update “The difference between Boasting and Sharing”

“The difference between Boasting and Sharing” School is starting! For all parents, teachers and grandparents sometimes, subtle teachings for the children we love go a long way! I believe I’ve shared this before but my intuition says to share it again. Several years ago I was with some kids. When we met up one of the kids started intensely telling us about what they were doing later that day. They went into great detail, however something bothered me as they spoke. I couldn’t put my finger on it but inside I felt like they were telling everybody listening they are better than everybody. What were they doing? They were boasting. It took me a few hours to see what the other side of boasting. When I did it became a lesson I taught my children and I hope to teach you. What’s wrong with boasting? We separate people. We are telling others (based on our insecurity) that we get to do something and they do not. Doing it makes us feel ‘better’ than others. While this is a temporary fix, it won’t sustain us. If we feel good about ourselves we don’t need to do this. What’s the opposite of boasting? Sharing! Sharing is simply showing gratitude and expectancy with it. “You guys! I feel super excited. I am going to this place, etc. When the child describes what they’ve been told they’ll experience and their attitude is in expectancy (excitement with no attachment to outcome) and gratitude they are in the right place. Statements like “I feel really excited about this!” “I can’t wait to report back on what I learn.” These are inclusive statements. Help your child to see the difference. I also explain this to my kids in an opposite example. A friend playing at our house once said, “I should have been in that higher math class, yada, yada.” That night at the dinner table I talked to my kids about what that friend could have said instead. We came up with this “I am going to work harder next year so I can pass that test to get into the higher math class. I like math and want to do well in it.” This child was speaking to lack, if he has no purpose to be in the high math class other than status, he has nothing! However, if he has goals he’ll likely attain them.

No comments:

Post a Comment